Anatoly Starkov, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Neuroscience
I study the functioning of mitochondria and its regulation in mammalian tissues. The main focus is on the production and scavenging of reactive oxygen species, the antioxidant defense system of mitochondria, mitochondrial calcium handling, and energy metabolism in the context of neurodegenerative diseases, specifically Alzheimer’s. In the future, we would like to establish a new research program aimed to develop and test the methods of post-births reversible modification of mitochondria in various tissues to desirable properties (e.g., correction of inborn defects, increased tolerance to hypoxia, or other metabolic enhancements) by pharmacological and genetic approaches with non-viral delivery vectors of the genetic material.
Achievements & Publications
The discovery of regulation of the production of reactive oxygen species in mitochondria by the amplitude of their membrane potential. Also finding that an enzyme alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase complex is a potent novel source of reactive oxygen species in brain mitochondria
- Starkov AA. An update on the role of mitochondrial α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase in oxidative stress. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2013 55:13-6
- Kiss G, Konrad C, Doczi J, Starkov AA, Kawamata H, Manfredi G, Zhang SF, Gibson GE, Beal MF, Adam-Vizi V, Chinopoulos C. The negative impact of α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase complex deficiency on matrix substrate-level phosphorylation. FASEB J. 2013 27(6):2392-406
- Dumont M, Stack C, Elipenahli C, Jainuddin S, Gerges M, Starkova N, Calingasan NY, Yang L, Tampellini D, Starkov AA, Chan RB, Di Paolo G, Pujol A, Beal MF.Bezafibrate administration improves behavioral deficits and tau pathology in P301S mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2012 21(23):5091-105.
- Kim HJ, Magranè J, Starkov AA, Manfredi G. The mitochondrial calcium regulator cyclophilin D is an essential component of oestrogen-mediated neuroprotection in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Brain. 2012 135(Pt 9):2865-74..
- Thomas B, Banerjee R, Starkova NN, Zhang SF, Calingasan NY, Yang L, Wille E, Lorenzo BJ, Ho DJ, Beal MF, Starkov A. Mitochondrial permeability transition pore component cyclophilin D distinguishes nigrostriatal dopaminergic death paradigms in the MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's disease. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2012 16(9):855-68.
- Niatsetskaya ZV, Sosunov SA, Matsiukevich D, Utkina-Sosunova IV, Ratner VI, Starkov AA, Ten VS. The oxygen free radicals originating from mitochondrial complex I contribute to oxidative brain injury following hypoxia-ischemia in neonatal mice. J Neurosci. 2012 32(9):3235-44..
- Elipenahli C, Stack C, Jainuddin S, Gerges M, Yang L, Starkov A, Beal MF, Dumont M. Behavioral Improvement after Chronic Administration of Coenzyme Q10 in P301S Transgenic Mice. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012 28(1):173-82.
- Chinopoulos C, Zhang SF, Thomas B, Ten V, Starkov AA. Isolation and functional assessment of mitochondria from small amounts of mouse brain tissue. Methods Mol Biol. 2011 793:311-24.